Translation Needed?

Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Mandarin & Bjork

I didn't feel this outfit today. I felt distinctly uncomfortable in it. Maybe that's because I didn't feel rebellious and wild today. Today I felt earthy and serene and quiet. 




So I saw Mockingjay and The Craft. The Craft was a corny movie, I think I prefer Practical Magic. But I did like it. The end leaves something to be desired. I kind of wanted Sarah to get justice from her friends in the form of their repentance. 
As for Mockingjay, I'm really pleased with how accurate it was with the book. I knew it would end with them saving Peeta and the altercation afterwards. I'm disappointed in all the people who didn't like the movie. I have to ask, what were they expecting? Did they not like the plot, the storyline? The dramatic scenes, or Katniss's very realistic instability, fear, trauma and irrationality given all that she's suffered through crying? Did they want to see more children killing each other? The acting? The dialogue? The CGI and special effects? What did they expect from Mockingjay, to be so vehemently disgusted with the quality of the movie? Did they want to see more kissing? Was the battle against tyranny, poverty, discrimination and totalitarianism not pleasing? Were the cameo shots too close? Did Liam Hemsworth gain weight? Was Josh Hutcherson's makeup crappy? Because to me, everything was perfect. Everything.
The scenes with the army of lumberjacks and the explosion of the hydroelectric dam were my favorite. I think they were my favorite because those people were sacrificing themselves, knowing full well it meant their lives. They had deemed their lives forfeit, collateral in a war and fighting for a cause they believed more important than their existence, and I think that's amazing, because people do it all the time, every day in real life. I tried to imagine myself doing that, and I knew I couldn't. Not unless I'd suffered immeasurably. I loved "The Hanging Tree," I thought Lawrence sang it to perfection, but Suzanne Collins didn't write that song. It was a civil war song sung in the South, by African Americans in the cotton fields. Unfortunately, you can't find evidence of that right off the bat. There's lots of information that is lost, forgotten or destroyed, because after all, someone has to decide what's important to teach future generations. Sometimes they're biased. 
And that really disappoints me in Collins, for not citing the source. I would feel disgusted with myself, having people commend me on art I didn't create, thinking I'm some genius or prodigy when I'm really just a thief. But I suppose it could have been that she found the song and the author was unknown or had no claim to it and she wanted to share it with the world, but she still could have disclaimed it. 
It was a great movie. I can't help it, but my opinion of certain people has degenerated upon hearing their shallow complaints about that movie.










Here's a Collins Keys video. 

The music artist I chose today is Bjork.
Bjork Gomundsottir is an actress/singer/producer from Iceland. She had her American debut in Sucker Punch, a movie that got very bad reviews because it appeared to be flamboyant, excessive and unrealistic. But I believe it was a beautiful movie, if for no other reason than the allegory within.
Allegory, you question? Let me explain.
First you must understand that Baby Doll is not the protagonist. She was never the protagonist. 
Sweet Pea was. Sweet Pea and her sister Rocket and mother were very wealthy. When their mother married a man, she died of unexplained circumstances, and he tried to attack the girls to steal the inheritance (as is shown in the opening scene). Sweet Pea, trying to defend Rocket, accidentally killed her. Her step father had her admitted to an insane asylum, the perfect way to be rid of both girls and claim the inheritance. Sweet Pea, so distraught at the horrific turn her life took, went insane. She created a fantasy in her mind to replace the reality of what she had done and what had happened to her--the fantasy was that she and her sister ran away from home and were abducted by human trafficking and made into prostitutes at an entertainment house, with a facade/front being a mental institution. On top of this, she developed a split personality. Baby Doll. Her therapist tried to help her regain her sanity, but every time she made progress, she set herself back, ergo the wacky battle sequences with dragons and robots and what have you. Because this movie takes place in the 40s/50s, they lobotomized her because they could not help her. Sweet Pea never walked free, never escaped. 
The only way I could really back all this up is by watching the movie over again so I can remember all the particulars that indicate the aforementioned allegory, which, sorry, I'm disinclined to do.
When you think about it, it's almost as trippy as Fight Club, or Shutter Island.
Anyway, here's "Army of Me," by Bjork.


~Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget